Sunday, March 23, 2014

Reconstructed Shirt Dress

About 20 years ago I was purchasing recycled and reconstructed clothing at upscale boutiques in upstate NY.  The one-of-a-kind "artsy" look appealed to me.  Why I never considered making my own "rag bag" clothing is beyond me.  Not because I couldn't sew, more that I lacked the confidence to take risks.  I was an avid quilter, but the concept of going off the map without a PATTERN was more than I could fathom.

I guess with age and maturity you start to let go of some of that fear.  The above "dress" was actually inspired by one of the outfits I bought and loved 20 years ago.  It was constructed from a man's shirt, with an added patchwork skirt.  I wore that dress so much it almost disintegrated.  I kept it because I liked the design.  The skirt on this dress is the second time around....I cut it off the first one.  The suede-like shirt is my husband's.  For some reason we had matching suede shirts?? Neither one of us had worn the shirt for years. 

The important thing in this type of sewing is that there are NO MISTAKES.  If you don't like something you just change it. It's the person inside of the clothing that MAKES IT WORK.  If you like it, then it's good.  

This dress is loose and comfortable and not like any other on the planet.  I will enjoy wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment