Monday, August 29, 2016

Morning Glories and Lilacs, Men's Shirt Refashion

Check out those Morning glories in the background
 This week I pulled another men's shirt from that "fill a bag for $5" stash that I'd scored several months ago at the local thrift store. I also had picked up a batik style beach wrap for $1.00 at a garage sale. It was in the same color family as the shirt and I liked the combo.

First I cut the sleeves and collar from the shirt.  The sleeves were sewn to the front, cuffs up, below the bust line. The beach wrap was cut to fit and sewn to the back along with a pretty embroidered piece cut from a damaged table runner.

Are these lilacs?
I used a tight zigzag to applique the embroidered piece to the shirt.

Finally hemming the bottom of the sleeves and adding some lace trim to finish off the raw edges in front.

I wore this top this weekend to an auction (one of my favorite summer activities!) and managed to spill coffee down the front. So now it's totally broken in!

Happy Sewing!  --The Elevated Bag Lady


No comments:

Post a Comment